Career as a college professorPrerna Prasad88|0Last Updated:12:04 am, September 05, 2013
A student-teacher is not just confined to syllabus and doubts and books when you are in college.
Professors play different roles from being a guide, a mentor to being a counselor and help college students beyond academics.
As it is Teacher's Day, it is the perfect time to explore a career as a college professor:
Are you made for it?
If you have a passion for teaching and love for the subject that you want to teach, have good communication and interpersonal skills then teaching is the right field for you.
#RECOMMENDED: Careers in Teaching: 5 realities of the job
How do you become a professor?
You can complete your postgraduate degree in specialization of your choice with a score of at least 55% and then apply for the NET (National Eligibility Test), or the SET (State Eligibility Test), the qualifying exam for teaching at college level.
If you have a PhD degree after completing your Master’s level examination then you can avail of a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e., from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET.
#READ: Options after NET
Where would you work?
After qualifying NET or SET you can work with government colleges, private both aided and un-aided colleges, universities and research institutes.
Clearing National Eligibility Test makes you eligible to teach at colleges across the country whereas, clearing State Eligibility Test makes you eligible to teach in colleges from your state.
Advantages of working as a professor:
- You can earn a dignified status in society
- It gives you job security for another 58 years of your life
- If you get into government colleges, the pay packages are also good
- You will get summer and winter vacations, public holidays
- You can also enjoy less working hours
- Ups and downs in market have less impact on teaching job market
Image courtesy: photos.com
Do you like this Buzz?
People who read this also read....
- Human Rights Day: 5 facts about this day
- Sri Ramachandra University to conduct entrance exam on January 25 for PG medical & dental admissions
- MBA admissions 2014: Important dates, eligibility and selection process
- Stalwarts of science to be hosted by Presidency University
- UPTET 2014 important dates: Applications to start after December 10