Jamia Millia Islamia: Increase in girl students by 12 percentEditorial Team101|0Last Updated:10:17 am, August 07, 2012
There has been increase of about 12 percent in girl students in Jamia Millia Islamia, following a 10 percent reservation for girls. With this, the percentage of girls on the campus has crossed 30 percent.
"Our aim is to increase this representation to 50 percent. It will be our endeavour to make the campus a safe place for the girl student," Vice Chancellor Najeeb Jung told IANS.
And the increase is not confined to traditionally popular courses but to courses like engineering too. "It is heartening to see girl students opting for engineering in large numbers," Jung said.
According to Khalid Moin, dean, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, seats reserved for girls were the fastest to be filled this year. And girls from outside Delhi constituted the majority.
Jamia Milllia Islamia is a 92-year old central university with more than 15,000 students studying at research, postgraduate, undergraduate, diploma and certificate levels in different departments and faculties.
Image courtesy: photos.com
Confused about what career to choose? Book an online session with Prerna Prasad
Do you like this Buzz?
People who read this also read....
- Uttarakhand class 12 results expected on May 26: Pre-registrations open
- Uttarakhand class 10 results expected on May 26: Pre-registrations open
- West Bengal Class 10 results expected on May 27: Pre-registrations open
- Orissa Class 12 Vocational exam result 2013 expected tomorrow on May 25
- How parents' expectations affect exam results